* Born 8 January 1966 - Johannesburg
* Matriculate from Potchefstroom Gymnasium 1983
* Graduated from Potchefstroom University with B.A. Communications majoring in Psychology, Journalism & Marketing
* 1986 Start working at the Herald as journalist
* 1990 -1999 Working in the Corporate field after moving to Cape Town
* 1999 - Marittie meet her future husband and they work on finishing a steel sailing yacht called Moya.
* 1999 Marittie and her husband sail from Cape Town for destinations unknown.
* 1999-2003 Marittie and her husband visit South America, The Caribbean, Bahamas and set sail through the Gulf Sea to USA.
* 2000 Shana is born in St. Maarten and when Shana was 2 months old, they headed for USA.
* 2001 The family head back to the Caribbean and another girl is born in Grenada.
* 2003 Marittie and her family of two girls, husband and two cats return to South Africa.
* 2003 On returning to SA, Marittie starts to paint and exhibit her art immediately on a full time basis.
* 2012 Marittie and her girls move to Pretoria and file for divorce.
*2013 Marittie visits Italy and decides while in Venice, that she misses the sea and at the end of that year they move to Gordonsbay.
*2014 Marittie goes to Greece for a rest during October
* 2018 At present Marittie and her girls lives in Somerset West. Marittie has her studio as part of a section of her home.
Statement/Inspiration for Art
My inspiration for painting started on a beach near Hog Island in Grenada, Caribbean. Me and a friend were experimenting with using leaves as stencils to do designs on t-shirts. I loved the process of working with colour and shape. On returning to South Africa from the Caribbean, Marittie took up painting and discovered that she had a natural talent. As self taught artist she was able to exhibit and sell her art from day one.
I am a fulltime artist/mother and love my life. My focus as artist is portraiture on large scale canvas. My work is not influenced by other artist’s but Picasso with his drive and passion for art is a constant reminder of the growth that is important in an artist’s life, and not commercial recipes.
I do yoga, love hiking and have music as permanent companion in my studio.
I hope to inspire people with my art and life to follow their dreams and always believe in their own power.
I am a painter totally obsessed with the first thing a baby sees.... the face of his/her mother. Through a face flows communication, love and the expression of life. As artist it is important for me to communicate how I experience life and I do it with painting portraits. IT has never been a business decision looking at my environment and art culture or other artists.... .. a Variety of ways are available to the artist to portray emotion and perspection on life and I use colour, different brushstrokes, the content and way of portraying subject matter.... and the use of thick paint with the use of palette knives, and lastly the large scale canvas I work on. My perspection on life is expressed through painting the strength and power in people, on the whole the human experience...... and being powerful with a gentle, kindness. Presently I am experimenting with the individual, men and woman in a world where fitting in with the collective consciousness as is described as the norm. I feel that every individual has to follow their own heart and passion bravely.
Regardlessly...... and that is quite wide and needs a lot of introspection.
I am a free spirit and do not accept any rules as the obsolete... any fashion to do anything..... above all I am not an ego based artist- looking to follow trends or other artist's ways. I am true to myself in seeing the beauty in life, the passion for good and ignoring the banal and ugly... because I just don't see the purpose of that.